Submitted by: Jessica Cunha
Original Credit: Judith Barrett, Saved by Soup
Makes 6 servings
Total cooking time approximately 35 minutes.
- 1 small head of broccoli, cut into small florets (yields about 3 cups)
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, pressed or minced
- 2 Tbs tomato paste
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 lb whole wheat spaghetti or linguine, broken into 2-inch pieces
- salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
Place the broccoli florets into a steam basket over boiling water until tender, 5-7 minutes. Rinse under cold water to stop the cooking and set aside. Reserve the steaming water.
Heat the oil in a heavy 4-quart sauce pan over medium-high heat and add the garlic and tomato paste. Stir the ingredients while cooking, 2-3 minutes. Add the broth and 2 cups of the steaming liquid and stir well. Bring to a boil and cook for 5 minutes. Add the spaghetti and cook, stirring frequently, until the pasta is al dente, 7-10 minutes. Add the broccoli and cook until just heated through, 3-5 minutes longer. Season with salt and pepper, add the parsley, and serve.
198 cal, 2.7 g of fat