Submitted by: Jessica Cunha
Original Credit: Rocco DiSpirito, Now Eat This! Italian
Prep time: 20 mins Cook time: 20 mins
Makes 4 servings
- 6 oz whole wheat orecchiette (or other small-shaped whole wheat pasta)
- 2 cups broccoli rabe, cut into 1-inch pieces with large stems discarded (1-2 bunches)
- 1 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 tsp fennel seeds, finely chopped
- 4 oz lean ground pork
- 2 cups fat-free, low sodium chicken broth
- freshly ground pepper
- 1 oz Parmigiano-Reggiano, grated
Bring 4 quarts of water to a boil in a large pot and add 2 Tbs salt. Add the pasta and cook about 1 minute less than the package directions for al dente. Add the broccoli rabe and cook 1 minute. Drain.
Heat the olive oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook until golden brown, about 2 mins, then add the red pepper flakes. Add the fennel seeds, then the pork, and cook, stirring occasionally, until pork is cooked through, about 2 minutes. Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil.
Add the broccoli rabe and pasta to the skillet, tossing to coat everything evenly. Season with salt and pepper and add 3/4 of the grated Parmigiano-Reggiano.
Spoon the pasta and broth into 4 bowls and sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
283 cal, 11.5 g of fat