Submitted by: Heather Trahan-Martins
This is a healthier version of chicken , broccoli, and rice casserole. I am allergic to dairy, so it uses dairy-free butter. Low fat cheese could also be added to the top layer in step 7. You can make it gluten free by using gluten free flour and breadcrumbs. You can also make it vegetarian by using white beans instead of chicken.
- 2 chicken breasts (4-6 oz each), cubed
- 1 cup uncooked rice of your choice
- 2 cups chicken or veggie broth
- 3 ½ cups of broccoli cut into small pieces (or use a bag of frozen broccoli)
- 1/4 cup dairy free butter + 1 tablespoon for breadcrumbs
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 T flour
- salt and pepper to season
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- Bring 2 cups of broth to a boil. Add in rice. Cook over medium heat until done. When done, set aside.
- Meanwhile, steam or boil broccoli. Or heat up frozen broccoli in microwave. Pick your method and set your cooked broccoli aside.
- In a large pot melt your dairy free butter add in your carrots (if you love veggies you could also add onions, mushrooms, and/or celery), cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add chicken, cook until done.
- Add your flour to the carrots/chicken mixture, stir to mix.
- In a slightly oiled casserole dish, place the cooked rice, broccoli, carrot/chicken mixture and mix together.
- Melt 1 T of your dairy free butter and mix with your breadcrumbs. Stir to combine, then put this mixture on top of your casserole.
- Bake at 350 for 20 minutes covered with foil, then remove foil and bake an additional 15 minutes or until your have a perfect golden brown layer on top!