Submitted by Jessica Cunha
Original Credit: Rocco DiSpirito, Now Eat This Italian
Serves 4 as an appetizer
- 1/2 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 8 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
- 1/8 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup white wine, such as Pinot Grigio
- 1 1/2 cups no fat, sodium, or sugar added chopped tomatoes
- 2 pounds fresh mussels, scrubbed, debearded, and rinsed in cold water
- salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
Heat the oil in a large non-stick saute pan over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and saute until it’s a deep golden brown (tip: lift the side of the pan to turn the garlic in the small pool of oil occasionally for even cooking). Add the red pepper flakes, then quickly add the wine and reduce by half. Add the tomatoes and bring to a simmer.
Add the mussels to the pan in an even layer. Cover the pot and simmer 1 minute. Remove lid and stir so that all mussels begin to open. Continue this process for approximately 8-10 minutes (any mussels that do not open by that time should be discarded). Season with salt and pepper and divide into 4 bowls. Enjoy!
4 g fat, 152 calories