Submitted by Jessica Cunha
Original Credit: Rocco DiSpirito, Now Eat This Italian
- 4 (6 oz) pieces of Hanger, Flank, or Skirt steak, trimmed of excess fat and sinew
- salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 8 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 small onion. sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 1 Tbs chopped fresh oregano
- 2 red bell peppers, sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 1 cubanelle pepper, sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 1 cup no fat, sodium or sugar added chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
Preheat the oven to 350. Place a wire rack over a baking sheet lined with foil (for easier clean-up).
Pat the steak pieces with paper towel to remove access liquid and then season with salt and pepper. Pour the oil into a large oven-safe skillet and place over high heat. Wait until pan is very hot, then add the steaks and brown each side evenly, about 2 minutes per side. Remove the steaks to the wire rack to rest.
Reduce the heat on the pan to medium and add the garlic to the pan to brown – about 2 minutes (note: tip the pan to the side so the garlic can be evenly turned in the small pool of oil a few times while cooking). Add the onions, peppers and oregano and cook for about 3 minutes to soften the veggies. Add the chopped tomatoes and cook 4-5 minutes, so that the tomatoes create a sauce that sticks to the veggies.
Place the steaks on top of the veggies, cover, and place in the oven. Cook to medium/medium-rare, about 5 minutes. Remove the meat from the sauce to the wire rack again.
Cook the tomato sauce down until it is thick, about 8 minutes, then stir in the red pepper flakes.
To serve, cut each 6oz steak into 3 pieces, dividing the steak and sauce onto 4 plates. Enjoy!
15.5 g of fat, 338 calories