Submitted by Jessica Cunha
- 1 cup Bob’s Red Mill Vegi Soup Mix
- 4 small potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled
- 5 cups of water
- 3 carrots, peeled and diced
- 3 sticks of celery, diced (put aside some celery leaves from the bunch if there are any, roughly chopped)
- 1/2 of a medium onion, diced
- 5-6 cups of vegetable broth
- your favorite soup noodles (approx 7 -8oz) – I used Mrs.Miller’s Vegetable Mix Homemade Noodles (got them at Job Lot!)
- salt & pepper to taste, plus your favorite soup spices (I added dried oregano and rosemary)
Put the Vegi Soup Mix, potatoes, garlic and water in a crock-pot/slow-cooker and cook on high for 3 hours. When potatoes are soft, turn off the heat and allow to cool. Once cooled, puree the mix with an immersion blender, standard blender, or food processor, then set aside.
In a large soup pot, add the chopped carrots, celery and onion, plus 2-3 cups of the vegetable broth (as much as needed to cover the veggies), and cook on medium-high until soft (approximately 20 minutes). Meanwhile, cook your pasta in a medium pot, according to package directions. When the pasta is cooked to al-dente, drain and set aside.
Combine all ingredients in the large soup pot (adding the pureed soup and the pasta, plus any celery leaves you chopped and set aside), add the remaining vegetable broth to your desired consistency, and cook on medium heat, allowing the soup to get heated through. Adjust seasonings, if needed.