Submitted by: Jessica Cunha
Original Credit: Grow, Eat, Cook by Willi Galloway
- 12 dino kale leaves, tough stems removed and leaves sliced crosswise into 1/4-inch-wide ribbons
- 1 large carrot, julienned
- 1 very ripe large avocado
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 Tbs freshly squeezed lemon juice (from about 2 small lemons)
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp sweet Spanish paprika
- 1 1/2 tsp harissa or another hot sauce, such as Sriracha
- freshly ground pepper
- 2 Tbs sunflower seeds
In a large salad bowl, toss the kale and carrots. In a separate mixing bowl, mash the avocado well and add the garlic, lemon juice, olive oil, spices and hot sauce. Mix until the dressing is very smooth.
Scrape the dressing into the bowl with the vegetable and mix with your hands, massaging it into the greens until everything is well combined (this is messy, but it helps to soften the kale’s texture). Season to taste with salt and pepper and refridgerate the salad for at least two hours, but preferably overnight. Fold in the sunflower seeds just before serving.