Submitted by: Jessica Cunha
Original Credit: Grow, Eat, Cook by Willi Galloway
- 3 large beets (about 1 1/2 lbs total), washed and trimmed
- 1/2 c freshly squeezed blood orange juice (from about 3 medium blood oranges)
- 1/4 c freshly squeezed grapefruit juice (from about 1 medium grapefruit)
- 2 Tbs freshly squeezed lemon juice (from about 1 small lemon)
- 1 Tbs honey
- 1 Tbs champagne vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 6 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
- freshly ground pepper
- 1 tsp blood orange zest
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tsp chopped fresh thyme, for garnish
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Wrap the beats individually in aluminum foil. Place them seam side up on a rimmed baking sheet and roast until fork-tender, 45-60 minutes, depending on the size of the beets. Carefully open teh packets, draining off any juice inside. When the beets are cool enough to handle, remove the skins and discard. Chop the beets into 1/2-inch chunks.
Zest the blood orange and lemon; set aside. Juice the fruits and combine the juice in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer gently until reduced to 1/4 cup. Remove from the heat and whisk in the honey and vinegar. Add the oil in a slow, steady stream, whisking until emulsified. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Toss the beets with the zest and 1/4 c of the vinaigrette. Marinate for at least 20 minutes, or overnight, if possible. Garnish with thyme before serving with remaining dressing on the side.