Submitted by Jessica Cunha
- cooking spray oil
- 1/4 onion, diced
- 1 small package shaved steak (10-12 oz)
- freshly cracked pepper
- low-sodium soy sauce, teriyaki marinade, and sweet & sour sauce, to taste (approx 1/8 to 1/4 cup each) – I like Nature’s Promise Seasame Teriyaki Marinade and World Harbor’s Sweet & Sour Sauce.
- 1 (10-12 oz) package of frozen broccoli florets
- garlic powder and red pepper flake, to taste
If you have a cast-iron skillet, heat over medium stove-top and spray a little oil just before adding the onion. Normal saute pans can be heated at medium-high. Add the diced onion and cook for 1 minute to soften. Add the shaved steak, season with pepper, and brown the meat evenly.
Once the steak is cooked, add the soy sauce, marinade and sweet & sour sauce, to taste. Add the frozen broccoli and cover. Cook until broccoli is softened. Taste the sauce and add your favorite spices, like garlic powder and red pepper flake, if needed.
Submitted by Jessica Cunha
Original Credit: Rocco DiSpirito, Now Eat This Italian
- 4 (6 oz) pieces of Hanger, Flank, or Skirt steak, trimmed of excess fat and sinew
- salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 8 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 small onion. sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 1 Tbs chopped fresh oregano
- 2 red bell peppers, sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 1 cubanelle pepper, sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 1 cup no fat, sodium or sugar added chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
Preheat the oven to 350. Place a wire rack over a baking sheet lined with foil (for easier clean-up).
Pat the steak pieces with paper towel to remove access liquid and then season with salt and pepper. Pour the oil into a large oven-safe skillet and place over high heat. Wait until pan is very hot, then add the steaks and brown each side evenly, about 2 minutes per side. Remove the steaks to the wire rack to rest.
Reduce the heat on the pan to medium and add the garlic to the pan to brown – about 2 minutes (note: tip the pan to the side so the garlic can be evenly turned in the small pool of oil a few times while cooking). Add the onions, peppers and oregano and cook for about 3 minutes to soften the veggies. Add the chopped tomatoes and cook 4-5 minutes, so that the tomatoes create a sauce that sticks to the veggies.
Place the steaks on top of the veggies, cover, and place in the oven. Cook to medium/medium-rare, about 5 minutes. Remove the meat from the sauce to the wire rack again.
Cook the tomato sauce down until it is thick, about 8 minutes, then stir in the red pepper flakes.
To serve, cut each 6oz steak into 3 pieces, dividing the steak and sauce onto 4 plates. Enjoy!
15.5 g of fat, 338 calories